Fast times not enough for Wallasey girls

In the National Road Relays at Barnet, Wallasey Athletic Club's women's team was beaten for only the second time this season. Despite having two of the fastest times of the day they were forced into eighth place.

Margaret Ashcroft led of on the first leg of the three by two-mile relay, returning in fifth place, with a time of 11 mins. 42 secs., what was to be the ninth fastest leg of the day.

On the second leg for Wallasey, was Shanea O'Dell who after suffering from illness all week could only manage a time of 14 min. 45 secs. dropping to 14th place.

On a flying final lap Barbara Banks regained six places, to bring the team into eighth place, and record the second fastest time of the day, 11 mins. 11 secs.

The winners were Barnet A.C. with Airedale and Spen Valley A.C. in second place, beating Wallasey for the first time this season.

In the Waterloo Round the Houses Road Relay, Wallasey Athletic Club's men team took ninth place of the 16 teams finishing.

The team of Barrie Smith, Dave Lindsay, John Wright, Dave Lockley, Bob Brimage and Bob Warburton was one of the youngest Wallasey have ever fielded with an average age of only 23.

Barrie Smith, making his return to the 'A' team, led off on the first leg, returning home in 10th place in 9 min. 57 secs. for the two miles, well in touch with the leaders.

Dave Lindsey took over, running to form with a lap of 9 min. 32 secs., in ninth place; Dave Lockley then proceeded to record the fastest time of the Wallasey team and the third fastest for the leg of 9 min. 20 secs.; John Wright followed, gaining a place with a time of 9 min. 45 secs.

Bob Warburton on the fifth leg, had a disappointing run in 10 min. 28 secs., but maintained the position, as did Bob Brimage, running 9 min 56 secs. on the final leg.

The team's time of 58 min. 58 secs. was nearly two minutes faster than the last Wallasey team produced for the course in 1968, but such was the improved standard that the improvement was hardly reflected in the position.

The winners were Birmingham University, finishing in 53 min. 42 secs. and setting a course record, despite the strong wind and heavy rain.

In second place was Sutton Harriers in 55 min. 42 secs. and third, Blackpool and Fylde A.C. in 55 min. 48 secs.

Highlight of the "B" team's performance was the run of Mike Whiteside, on the first leg, finishing just behind Barrie Smith in 10 min. 7 secs., Mike Teahan running a distance rather below his best at the moment recorded 10 min. 45 secs., Doug Hanna 10 min. 47 secs.

Pete Martin, stepping in for the injured Paul Hughes, ran very well to record 10 min. 47 secs. after having led Wallasey Grammar School to victory against Caldy Grange Grammar School in the afternoon. Carl Gee running with new found vigour, brought the team home in 12th place in 11 min. 13 secs.


Ref 1591