FORMATION AND EARLY DEVELOPMENT
The first annual general meeting of the Wallasey Harriers was held at the headquarters, Oarside Farm on Wednesday 26 September 1906. There were a number of Harrier clubs in the Wallasey area at that time, and Wallasey Harriers was formed by the members of Liscard Congregational Harriers, named after the church of the same name situated on Rake Lane. The club moved a short distance to Oarside Farm on Mount Pleasant Road, whose location at that time was described as being on the edge of the country. Mr F C O’Connell was the first President of the Club, and he was also the President in 1908 when the club amalgamated with Homecroft Athletic Club to form the renamed Wallasey Athletic Club.
The Club started as Harriers, running over the country between the months of September and April when the farmers allowed the participants to run across their fields. In later years athletics became a major activity within the Club.
The original name was Wallasey Harriers. On 16 September 1908 Wallasey Harriers amalgamated with Homecroft Athletic Club to form Wallasey Athletic Club. In 1913 the name was recorded as Wallasey Harriers and Athletic Club. At a special General Meeting on 24 January 1921 it was proposed and carried that the club become the Wallasey Branch of an Amalgamation of clubs called the Hercules Athletic Club. At the AGM OF 7 October 1926 it was proposed that the club revert back to the Wallasey Harriers and Athletic Club.
Recorded in 1914 as being green jersey and white knickers with letter “W”. At the AGM OF 7 October 1926 it was proposed and carried, “that the colours of flame coloured singlet with blue facings and letter, and red shorts be adopted as the uniform.”
FOR MORE INFO PLEASE EXPLORE THE YEAR OR RUNNER PROFILE PAGES
On the runner profile pages the 'race history' and 'runner stories' links toggle between runners races or stories involving the runner. Stories are also available by year. Information is being added all the time so please check back.
Many thanks to Mel Schless and Stan Williams for their pain staking work searching library archives and club records for this material. Also Connor McArdle, Bob Brimage, Thomas Barbat and Matt Williams for their photographic contributions.
If you would like to take an active part in developing the history pages on this site, whether it be for a few hours or taking a more involved role, please e-mail email@example.com for more details.
Last Update: 13th February 2008